The Truth About Cars is dedicated to providing candid, unbiased automobile reviews and the latest in auto industry news.
- 2022 Volkswagen Golf R Review – Greatness Comes at a Priceon September 28, 2022 at 9:30 pm
It’s hard to come up with a better hot hatch than the 2022 Volkswagen Golf R. Unfortunately, it’s also hard to build such a sublime vehicle and also make it a bargain. If you’re on a budget, VW will happily sell you a GTI and you’ll get about 80 percent of the Golf R’s performance. On […]
- First Look: 2023 Ford F-Series Super Dutyon September 27, 2022 at 11:30 pm
Since roughly the dawn of time (or at least the dawn of manufacturing in Detroit), pickup truck makers have enjoyed beating each other over the head in a perpetual game of one-upmanship. Torque, towing, interior appointments – it’s rare for any stone to be left unturned when one brand decides […]
- Rare Rides Icons: Lamborghini’s Front-Engine Grand Touring Coupes (Part XI)on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 pm
It was a long, uphill battle to get the Espada into production. Seemingly no designer would deliver on Ferruccio Lamborghini’s desire for a four-seat grand touring coupe. While style was fine, outlandish design was unacceptable. Yet designers disappointed him on the Islero (which was supposed […]
- Rare Rides Icons: In Memoriam, The Chrysler LX Platform (Part II)on September 26, 2022 at 9:00 pm
As the Chrysler LX platform heads toward its demise after the 2023 model year, Rare Rides Icons is making its way through the various large-ish vehicles that used the platform these past two decades. The starting point for this series are the original LX concepts that never made production. We […]
- QOTD: What Makes You Nervous?on September 26, 2022 at 7:00 pm
Yesterday, I had to haul a bathroom vanity from my folks’ house to mine, a drive of about 50 miles. This vanity is a new one, still in the box, and that box partially blocked my view when looking in the rearview mirror of the Hyundai Ioniq 5 EV I am testing.
- California Introduces Strict New Laws for Auto Partson September 26, 2022 at 6:30 pm
On Sunday, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed new legislation designed to prevent catalytic-converter thefts. The auto part has become a preferred target for criminals, especially on the West Coast, due to its high content of precious metals and relative ease of removal. Last year, more than […]
- Government Inches Closer to Mandatory Breathalyzers, Driver Monitoringon September 26, 2022 at 5:00 pm
In the past, someone who had an ignition interlock device equipped to their vehicle typically needed to be found guilty of some criminal offense. But they may become commonplace if the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) gets its wish to have breathalyzers installed into all new […]
- 2023 Hyundai Palisade First Drive: Almost As Good As A Minivanon September 26, 2022 at 3:30 pm
Those who have known me for a while – or have been reading the words I’ve been spewing on this and other sites – know that I’m a minivangelist. I’ve owned several (I’ve lost count) of these unrestrained vehicular symbols of virility and/or fertility, and have appreciated their presence in […]
- Junkyard Find: 1969 Ford LTD 2-Door Hardtopon September 26, 2022 at 2:30 pm
Ford updated its full-sized cars for 1969 , stretching the wheelbase a couple of inches and adding a completely new snout. Production of this generation of big Fords continued through 1978, with well over a half-million sold just for 1969, so these cars were everywhere on American roads well into […]
- TTAC Rewind: 2015 Cadillac XTS Vsporton September 25, 2022 at 1:00 pm
Hey, Editor Tim here — we’re trying something new. Keep an eye out each Sunday morning for a review from the past, chosen more or less arbitrarily, for you to peruse over your morning coffee.
- Extreme E to Fans: Stay Homeon September 23, 2022 at 8:30 pm
In-person attendance is generally seen as a litmus test for the health of a racing series. If the stands are relatively empty on any given weekend, talking heads will inevitably speculate on a decline in popularity and bemoan the sport’s future (alert readers are sure to know exactly the series […]
- Housekeeping: Tech Q and A Will Return Next Weekon September 23, 2022 at 3:00 pm
Our tech Q and A columnist is dealing with a family emergency, so the column will return next week.
- The Great Pacific Road Trip: Part 4on September 23, 2022 at 2:00 pm
The last time we saw the 1975 Ford was when your author dropped it off at the shipping office in Oakland. Readers can review the previous installments of the trip up through California, the prep of the car, and the purchase and arrangements of the trip elsewhere on this blog by following the links. […]
- Rare Rides Icons, The Nissan Maxima Story (Part V)on September 22, 2022 at 10:00 pm
The new third-generation (J30) Nissan Maxima went in a bold new direction from its predecessors. Larger, more luxurious, more technologically savvy, and better made than the first two, the third Maxima was the first to cater to the North American market. The Maxima’s sudden transformation was so […]
- Nissan Issues Stop-Sale On New Z, Manual Variant Unaffectedon September 22, 2022 at 9:30 pm
The new 2023 Nissan Z has suffered an embarrassing setback, with the automaker issuing a stop-sale order for all models not equipped with the six-speed manual. Dealers were informed to suspend sales late in August. But it wasn’t until recently that the world caught wind of why. It […]